James Harding DDS is excited to offer a revolutionary treatment for sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea is a disorder that occurs during sleep when the airway becomes completely blocked and breathing stops. When the brain detects the lack of oxygen, it prompts a momentary arousal to breathe. Sometimes snoring can be a symptom of sleep apnea, but a person can also be completely unaware they suffer from this condition.
The most common treatment for sleep apnea is a CPAP — or Continuous Positive Airway Pressure — machine. This machine is effective in alleviating the dangerous breathing pattern, but many patients are uncomfortable being hooked up to a machine all night and compliance is low.
We offer a custom-made oral appliance — called the SomnoDent® MAS — to treat mild to moderate sleep apnea, while some severe cases include the assistance of a sleep physician. The adjustable device works by pulling the jaw forward in an optimal position to keep the airway. The appliance is comfortable because it uses the smallest amount of material possible, reducing bulkiness in the mouth. It is also made up of two separate pieces, which allow you to speak, yawn and drink.
diagnosis and treatment
- On your first visit we will conduct a dental exam to confirm your oral health status and make sure that you are dentally appropriate for the device.
- We will set you up for an at-home sleep study with a sleep-wearable, wireless physiological recorder worn on the forehead. It measures blood oxygen saturation and pulse rate, airflow, respiratory effort venous volume, snoring levels, head movement and head position. Many people prefer diagnosing their sleep pattern by sleeping in their normal environment.
- You drop off the recorder and we transfer the data to a team of sleep specialists who help us interpret the severity of sleep apnea.
- Based on the diagnosis, we will have you back in to take the dental impressions required in order to make you a SomnoDent® MAS.
- Once your custom made device is ready, we will show you how to properly use and care for it.
- We will conduct a follow-up sleep study, once again in your home, to determine the effectiveness of the device and to make adjustments that improve it results.
The SomnoDent® MAS has an exceptional level of patient acceptance and effectiveness is backed by a large body of clinical research.